Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Oh body, how I love thee

For those who don't know me, I tend to hurt myself quite a bit. And it's not normally severe or anything, I've never broken any bones (although in many cases I wish that was the case). No, in my situations, I always manage to hurt myself in ways that are not easily fixed/healed and that require immense pain on my end. For example, one Christmas, on my way to a potluck, I fell down the steps in my garage with all body weight on my elbow. Did my elbow break? No it did not, apparently i just "bruised" the bone...an injury which resulted in pain for 2 years because, nothing could be done except take some pain killers and ice it.

Well...I've done it again. And I'm not talking about falling down the steps and hurting my elbow. But I am talkin about hurting myself in a way that is not easily fixed/healed and which requires immense pain on my end. While in Motivation (psyc) class, I felt the urge to sneeze...apparently my body was not prepared for this urge (which i will explain later). Anywayz, I'm feelin this urge so I go ahead and sneeze but try to be somewhat discreet which I guess meant that I was tryin to hold it in (BAD MOVE). So after the sneeze, I feel this horrendous pain in my right ribcage/lower abdomin and i'm like...great...what did i do now. Thankfully there was a break just around that time (cuz i had difficulties holding the pen to write the pages of notes) and I decided to give good ol nurse Mom a call and see what she thought. She told me to go get it checked out (cuz I perhaps cracked a rib....it happens). So I went.

After waiting an hour in the clinic at school the doctor finally sees me and does some checking and then tells me that no i'm not 90 years old and did not crack a lung, however, when I sneezed, my body did not send signals to my muscles indicating to them that I was about to sneeze and so they should therefore relax and expand and when i sneezed, i ended up ripping most of the muscles apart. Hurrah! So he tells me that (suprise suprise) there's nothing I can do for it except take some pain killers and perhaps ice it and avoid any sudden movements that will rip the remaining muscles (which are hanging by a thread). By sudden movements he means laughing, deep breathing...anything really.

So here I go again....pain for weeks with no relief in sight. Smart going body...smart going...maybe next time we can all be on the same page when a sneeze or yawn or even a blink occurs to prevent further pain for us all!

3 comments:

~*Trisha*~ said...

Feel better sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

and u never follow doctor's orders do u? just cant stop laughing can u? :p lol!! i'll take care of you tho darlin!!!!...as long as it's before 9pm LOL!

Nico said...

oh no, no more volleyball:(