Thursday, January 31, 2008

Justifying Grace

How often do I tell people that God will not love them any more or any lesss regardless of their actions and yet how often do I not trust in this statement myself. I find more often than not that I live by the Theology of Merit and Demerit which basically says that God will love me more if I do good and God will love me less if I screw up and do bad. I'm clearly not perfect and I screw up quite often and it causes me to make right with God, not always because of true genuine repentance, but because I don't want him to get 'angry' and not love me as much. I know I'm a people pleaser and on earth, our works generally earn or lose favour and yet God is so not like that.

God has already loved me so much that he gave me his only Son. How can I think or expect that anything I do for him will equal or exceed that to earn more love?

God loves me because of his amazing grace and not on the basis of anything I have ever dones (he loved me even before he created the world) and therefore can't love me any less.

I need to stop merely repeating this for the sake of sounding spiritual and I need to actually let this sink into my spirit and become a real TRUTH so that no matter how I feel or no matter the circumstance, I will recognize the reality of God's love.

Ps. In saying all of this, I'm not saying that it's right to just go out and sin and do evil deeds because God will love you regardless. I love God with all my heart and through his grace he has enabled me to have his will and desires and I want to obey and follow him based on my love. However, I am human and sometimes I don't always get it right and those are the times when I need to recognize this unconditional love, ask for forgiveness and purpose in my heart not to repeat what I've done (with the strength of God)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all
that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say excellent blog!


Also visit my homepage :: owning a hungarian hound